Miss Ellen’s Sewing Class
Class No. 47 - Folded Star Hot Pad
By Ellen Mason - JOY Designs
Keep Christmas in mind when creating this project. A real neat technique of folding fabric
and creating a star block. Make several to give for gifts. This is a hand sewing project.
SUPPLIES: This will make more than one hot pad.
½ yds. of 5 different Christmas fabrics: 1-red; 1-green; 1 green print; 1 red print; 1-
1/4 yd. cotton batting
For each hot pad - 32 inches eyelet trim
For one hot pad - wicker paper plate holder
Coordinating sewing thread
Hand sewing needles
Basic sewing kit
Optional - sewing machine
Iron and pad
Hot glue and gun
1. Prepare fabrics. Cut into 5 inch strips (5 X 44 inches). Then fold the strips
(length wise) and press. Cut strips into 5 inch pieces. You will have 5 inch square
2. Cut 2 - 10 inch square muslin blocks.
3. Fold one muslin block into fourths and press. This is the backing.
4. With the color fabric for the center - begin folding 4 triangles. See pictures.
5. Place the triangle point at the center of the muslin. Pin and baste stitch long edge
to the backing.
6. Place the remaining 3 triangles and baste stitch to the backing.
7. Take the printed squares and fold into triangles.
8. Place the triangle point over the previous row — at least ½ inch from the center
folded seam. You will need 8 triangles.
9. Pin in place and baste stitch the long edge to backing.
10. Next row - use solid color fabric.
11. Continue making triangle pieces and placing as previous rows until four rows of
triangles are placed.
12. Trim to an 8 inch circle ---- make sure the center is in correct place.
13. Attach a layer of batting to the wrong side of star.
14. Attach a piece of print - right side down then batting and place star on top.
Baste together. Trim to 8 inches.
15. Place hot pad in the wicker plate holder and hot glue to secure.
16. Hot glue the eyelet time around the edges of the star hot pad.